Friday, August 27, 2010

COUNTING MY BLESSINGS

http://jo-cerrudo.blogspot.com/2010/08/counting-my-blessings.html


At Triage...

I worried about buying a new sofa and matching curtains for the living room,
a patient said he is homeless.

I fretted about not getting a pay raise and complained about the stress on the job,
the 55-year breadwinner with the chest pains was just laid off.

I whined about the high cost of L'Oreal and how my highlights do not last long,
my chemotherapy patient was depressed about her alopecia.

I grumbled about my being stressed out with demands of my time from family members,
the elderly gentleman just lost his wife and now is all alone.

I ranted and raved about the nation's state of affairs,
this bright-eyed refugee from a third-world country gushed about free speech.

I complained about being tired from shopping all day long,
this young, gaunt HIV patient whispered, "I'm dying.".

And now that I am being inconvenienced by a little snow and rain,
the horrific images of the tsunami, hurricanes and mudslides just make everything else trivial
and insensitive by comparison.

I had learned long ago to count my blessings.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, we need to take stock of what's really important in life. Excellent piece!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reminding us what's important in life.

    ReplyDelete